, pub-7039602827030546, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0
Connect with us


Gov Fintiri Imposes Curfew On Parts of Lamurde, Guyuk LGAs



Spread the love

Following renewed clashes in parts of 2 Local Government Areas of Lamurde and Guyuk in the Southern Adamawa, the State Governor, Rt.Hon Ahmadu Umaru Fintiri has imposed a curfew on the towns of Lafiya and Boshikiri as well as the surrounding villages of Mumseri, Mere , Kupte and Zakawon with immediate effect.

Governor Fintiri who is disturbed by the recurring communal clashes warned that “Criminals are challenging the Government’s resolve, and we are going to pursue them to the farthest end possible,” he said. “We have exhausted all the means to arrest the situation in that area. It now requires a whole new approach because we have been left with no option.”

The Governor in a statement by his Media Aide Mr Humwashi Wonosikou noted that the unfortunate breach of peace in the area was regrettable and having reviewed the unfolding scenario, Government is concerned about the persisting tensions and reported attempts by some persons to take the Laws into their hands by attacking individuals and private facilities as well as public property.

“In order to avoid further deterioration of the ugly situation and to protect lives and property of citizens, I have directed the imposition of curfew from 5pm to 6am from Wednesday 8th June, 2022. The curfew shall remain in place subject to further review.”

“All citizens are therefore directed to abide by the directive to enable security personnel maintain Law and Order in the affected areas and deal with those attempting to forement trouble by taking advantage of the situation to perpetrate crimes.”

While also calling for calm Governor Fintiri sympathised with the families of those affected by the crisis.

The Order shall apply during the hours of 5pm to 6am and shall remain in effect until further notice.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Gunshots Disrupt NANS Convention In Abuja




Spread the love

Gunshots at the convention of the National Association of Nigerian Students, NANS, on Friday, in Abuja, have injured many students.

Those injured are currently seeking medical attention in an undisclosed hospital.

The convention which took place at the Old Parade Ground, was aimed at electing the new NANS executives to replace the outgoing ones being headed by Usman Barambu.

It was gathered that the shootings, which started on Thursday, continued on Friday at the venue of the convention, located close to the Defense Headquarters, Abuja.

The shootings were said to have started after thugs loyal to a particular candidate began attacking opposition delegates.

Some videos from the event seen by our reporter showed some students scampering for safety during the heavy shootings on Friday.

It was gathered that the shootings were brought to an end following the intervention of security agencies.

Continue Reading


Israel Resumes Bombardment Of Gaza Despite Int’l Calls For Renewed Truce




Spread the love

Israel resumed its deadly bombardment of Gaza on Friday, saying it struck more than 200 targets in the densely inhabited Palestinian territory despite international calls for a renewed truce.

The Hamas-run health ministry said that at least 109 people had been killed in Gaza since the pause in hostilities expired in the morning and ground battles and Israel air strikes resumed.

Israel alleged that Hamas had attempted to break the truce even before it ended at 0500 GMT by firing a rocket and that it had failed to produce a list of hostages that could have been released on Friday in exchange for Palestinian prisoners.

But both the United Nations chief and the White House called for the break in fighting to be restored, and UN agencies warned of a “catastrophic” humanitarian situation as bombs fell and hospitals again struggled to cope with the wounded after a week-long respite.

“We continue to work with Israel, Egypt, and Qatar on efforts to extend the humanitarian pause in Gaza,” a White House National Security Council spokesperson said after US Secretary of State Antony Blinken left Israel following diplomatic efforts to shore up the truce.

In a social media post, United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said: “I deeply regret that military operations have started again in Gaza. I still hope that it will be possible to renew the pause that was established.”

Israeli rescue teams inspect the scene of a shooting attack in Jerusalem on November 30, 2023. Gunmen killed three people and wounded several more in Jerusalem on Thursday, Israeli police said, in an attack shortly after a truce in the Israel-Hamas war was extended. Police said two suspects “implicated in the shootings were neutralised on the spot” after the attack near a bus stop on the western side of Jerusalem, where there are no checkpoints guarding the entrance to the city.

Under the truce, Hamas militants released hostages in exchange for Palestinian prisoners held in Israeli jails, and greater aid flows into war-devastated Gaza.

But with explosions audible and a dark column of smoke rising over northern Gaza, Israel’s army said its warplanes were striking Hamas targets across the Palestinian territory and AFP journalists saw, and visited the aftermath, of several bombings.

“The healthcare service is on its knees,” Rob Holden, a World Health Organisation (WHO) senior emergency officer, told journalists in Geneva on a video link from Gaza as explosions were heard in the background. “It is like a horror movie.”

Israeli officials, however, took a tough line, insisting Hamas was to blame for the new eruption of fighting and vowing to destroy the Islamist movement.

“Unfortunately, Hamas decided to terminate the pause by failing to release all the kidnapped women,” Israeli government spokesman Eylon Levy told reporters. “Having chosen to hold onto our women, Hamas will now take the mother of all thumpings.”

The Israeli military said: “Over the last few hours, ground, air and naval forces struck terror targets in the north and south of the Gaza Strip, including in Khan Yunis and Rafah.”

Combat resumed shortly after Israel’s army said it had intercepted a rocket fired from Gaza, the first from the territory since a missile launched minutes into the truce on November 24.

In Khan Yunis, a group of men chanted “God is greatest” as they rushed through the streets carrying a body wrapped in a white shroud. War has returned, even more fiercely”, Anas Abu Dagga, 22, told AFP.

On a bed at Khan Yunis’s Nasser hospital, a member of the same family, Amal Abu Dagga wept, her beige veil covered in blood.

“I don’t even know what happened to my children,” she said. Another relative, Jamil Abu Dagga, told AFP the family had been at home when the bombs started falling.

In Israel, sirens warning of potential missiles sounded in several communities near Gaza, and authorities said they were restarting security measures in the area including closing schools.

The office of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said fighting had restarted after Hamas violated the truce.

“The Government of Israel is committed to achieving the goals of the war: Releasing the hostages, eliminating Hamas and ensuring that Gaza never again constitutes a threat to the residents of Israel,” it said.

Despite the resumption of fighting, talks between Qatari and Egyptian mediators were “ongoing”, said a source briefed on the talks.

During the seven-day truce, Hamas freed 80 Israeli hostages in exchange for 240 Palestinian prisoners, and more aid entered Gaza, where 1.7 million people are displaced and short of food, water and other essentials, according to the United Nations.

Twenty-five other hostages, mostly Thais, were also freed during the truce but outside the scope of its terms.

On Thursday, Washington’s top diplomat Antony Blinken, meeting Israeli and Palestinian officials, called for the truce to be extended, and warned any resumption of combat must protect Palestinian civilians.

Other world leaders, and aid groups, had also sought an extended pause in the fighting that began on October 7 when Hamas militants broke through Gaza’s militarised border into Israel.

During the unprecedented attack, Hamas killed about 1,200 people, mostly civilians, and kidnapped around 240, according to Israeli authorities.

In response, Israel vowed to eliminate Hamas and unleashed an air and ground military campaign in Gaza that the Hamas authorities who run Gaza say has killed more than 15,000 people, also mostly civilians.

On Thursday eight more Israeli hostages, some holding dual nationality, were released.

Not long after the hostages arrived in Israel, the country’s prison service said another 30 Palestinian prisoners — 23 minors and seven women — had been freed.

Hamas said it had also offered to hand over the bodies of a mother and her two sons — one of them a baby — in talks to extend the now-expired truce.

Shiri Bibas, her 10-month-old son Kfir and his four-year-old brother Ariel, along with their father Yarden, have become emblematic of the October 7 attacks due to the age of baby Kfir. Israeli officials refused to comment on Hamas’s “propaganda”.

The Israeli military published a map of “evacuation zones” in the Gaza Strip. The military said it would enable residents to “evacuate from specific places for their safety if required”.

Residents in multiple areas were sent SMS warnings on Friday.

Israeli forces “will begin a crushing military attack on your area of residence to eliminate the terrorist organisation Hamas,” the warnings said.

“Stay away from all military activity of every kind.”

Continue Reading


APC, SDP Trade Blames Over Attack On Kogi REC’s Residence




Spread the love

The All Progressive Congress and the Social Democratic party have been trading blame over gunmen’s attack on the residence of the state Residence Electoral Commissioner, Dr. Gabriel Longpet in the early hours of Friday.

PUNCH reports that the gunmen had stormed the residence of the REC shooting sporadically.

Addressing a press conference on Friday, the APC campaign council pointed accusing fingers at the defeated governorship candidate of the Social Democratic party and called for his arrest and prosecution.

The Director, Media and Publicity of the APC Campaign Council, Kingsley Fanwo, said that Ajaka and his SDP supporters have shown enough evidence that they are violent and should be held responsible for what happened at the residence of the REC.

Fanwo stated that the attack was perpetrated days after it alerted the nation of the plans of SDP thugs to attack INEC, adding that “they have finally done their worst by attacking the residence of the Kogi State INEC Commissioner, engaging security agents in a fierce gun battle and eventually burning down some vehicles in the residence and the area.”

Fanwo said, “The same arsonists also had an attempt to burn down the Kogi State Government House foiled by our eagle-eye security agents. The same attempt was foiled at the State APC Secretariat in Lokoja.”

According to the APC, the SDP in the state and their collaborators are desperate to destroy some documents in INEC to cover the heist they committed in Kogi East where they allegedly killed APC supporters “and drove them out of collation centres to forge the results that were eventually trumped by the massive votes of Kogites for the Governor-Elect.”

The Campaign Council alleged that the SDP candidate and his collaborators were attempting to corrupt certain documents in INEC before handing them to their legal team.

Meanwhile, the Social Democratic Party denied any involvement in the attack on the REC’s resident

A statement issued on Friday in Lokoja by the Director, New Media, Muri/ Sam Campaign Organisation, David Ijele, stated, “We strongly condemn the assassination attempt on the INEC Resident Commissioner for Kogi state, Dr. Hale Gabriel Longpet, which took place in Lokoja at approximately 2:00 am this morning, December 1st, 2023.

According to him, “Election should not be treated as a war, nor should it be a matter of life and death. If the election was won fairly and transparently, then the legal process should be allowed to run its course without interference. However, it is unacceptable for thugs, in their high numbers yesterday, to be subject to fake protests, insisting that, on no account should forensic teams not be allowed to do their jobs”.

“We are grateful for the timely intervention of the Army, as the man and his family could have been wiped out overnight. The attackers also burnt his vehicles and took other valuables. This kind of behavior is not acceptable in a democratic society,” he added.

Continue Reading


Copyright © 2021 Sahel Reporters