By Muhammad Adam
The Police in Adamawa have confirmed the arrest of four suspects in connection with trafficking 24 children from the state.
DSP Sulaiman Nguroje, Police Spokesperson in the state, confirmed the arrest to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN), on Tuesday in Yola.
NAN recalls that Mr Sikiru Akande, the Commissioner of Police in the state, earlier told the agency that the command had rescued 24 under-aged children, who were taken away from the state for child labour and other human trafficking purposes.
According to Akande, the boys and girls, who are indigenes of Adamawa State, and who were taken from some villages across Madagali Local Government Area (LGA), were rescued by the command.
Nguroje told NAN that the four suspects were also indigenes of Adamawa, from Madagali.
“The Command has arrested for suspects in connection with Trafficking of 24 under-aged children from Adamawa, and investigation is on course.
The suspects are Dakam Peter (m) 30, Nicolas Vishe (m) 29, Luka Yarima (m) 49, and Yusuf Garwa (m) 35, and all of them are indigenes of Madagali LGA,” Nguroje said.
He told NAN that the suspects sometimes in 2020, deceived parents of the victims in a Church in Madagali, under the guise of a charity organisation.
He said that the suspects registered many children with the promise of giving them scholarships to study in some schools in Jos.
“It was after the academic calendar that one of the parents demanded to see his 10-year-old son, Aliyu Salihu.
“The suspects continued dragging the issue and refused to bring Aliyu back to his father.
“Salihu began to suspect foul play and decided to report the matter to the Police.
“After investigation, the Police, with the support of Adamawa State Government, uncovered that many children were trafficked from the area,” Nguroje said.
According to him, the suspects confessed to have sold out many children to some people in Plateau, Imo ,Enugu and Kaduna states among others.
He said the investigation was on course and the command was making progress in recovering other children, though the birth names of some of them had been changed.
He said that the children, males and females, were between the ages of seven and 13 years.
He appealed to the public to report any suspicious activities around them to the nearest police station for prompt action.
One of the children, who spoke to NAN said that they were taken from their villages by a charity organisation, through their Churches.
“They (the Organisation), told us they are going to enroll us in some higher standard schools in Jos.
“But upon our arrival in Jos, sometime in October 2021, they shared among some people.
“Some of us were taken to Kaduna, some to unknown destinations, and we were forced to go to farm.
“The school they promised to enroll us into are not better than our former schools in Madagali,” one of the children, whose identity is being protected, said.
NAN reports that Madagali is one of the LGAs ravaged by Boko Haram terrorists in Northern Adamawa. (NAN)
Gunshots Disrupt NANS Convention In Abuja
Gunshots at the convention of the National Association of Nigerian Students, NANS, on Friday, in Abuja, have injured many students.
Those injured are currently seeking medical attention in an undisclosed hospital.
The convention which took place at the Old Parade Ground, was aimed at electing the new NANS executives to replace the outgoing ones being headed by Usman Barambu.
It was gathered that the shootings, which started on Thursday, continued on Friday at the venue of the convention, located close to the Defense Headquarters, Abuja.
The shootings were said to have started after thugs loyal to a particular candidate began attacking opposition delegates.
Some videos from the event seen by our reporter showed some students scampering for safety during the heavy shootings on Friday.
It was gathered that the shootings were brought to an end following the intervention of security agencies.
Israel Resumes Bombardment Of Gaza Despite Int’l Calls For Renewed Truce
Israel resumed its deadly bombardment of Gaza on Friday, saying it struck more than 200 targets in the densely inhabited Palestinian territory despite international calls for a renewed truce.
The Hamas-run health ministry said that at least 109 people had been killed in Gaza since the pause in hostilities expired in the morning and ground battles and Israel air strikes resumed.
Israel alleged that Hamas had attempted to break the truce even before it ended at 0500 GMT by firing a rocket and that it had failed to produce a list of hostages that could have been released on Friday in exchange for Palestinian prisoners.
But both the United Nations chief and the White House called for the break in fighting to be restored, and UN agencies warned of a “catastrophic” humanitarian situation as bombs fell and hospitals again struggled to cope with the wounded after a week-long respite.
“We continue to work with Israel, Egypt, and Qatar on efforts to extend the humanitarian pause in Gaza,” a White House National Security Council spokesperson said after US Secretary of State Antony Blinken left Israel following diplomatic efforts to shore up the truce.
In a social media post, United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said: “I deeply regret that military operations have started again in Gaza. I still hope that it will be possible to renew the pause that was established.”
Israeli rescue teams inspect the scene of a shooting attack in Jerusalem on November 30, 2023. Gunmen killed three people and wounded several more in Jerusalem on Thursday, Israeli police said, in an attack shortly after a truce in the Israel-Hamas war was extended. Police said two suspects “implicated in the shootings were neutralised on the spot” after the attack near a bus stop on the western side of Jerusalem, where there are no checkpoints guarding the entrance to the city.
Under the truce, Hamas militants released hostages in exchange for Palestinian prisoners held in Israeli jails, and greater aid flows into war-devastated Gaza.
But with explosions audible and a dark column of smoke rising over northern Gaza, Israel’s army said its warplanes were striking Hamas targets across the Palestinian territory and AFP journalists saw, and visited the aftermath, of several bombings.
“The healthcare service is on its knees,” Rob Holden, a World Health Organisation (WHO) senior emergency officer, told journalists in Geneva on a video link from Gaza as explosions were heard in the background. “It is like a horror movie.”
Israeli officials, however, took a tough line, insisting Hamas was to blame for the new eruption of fighting and vowing to destroy the Islamist movement.
“Unfortunately, Hamas decided to terminate the pause by failing to release all the kidnapped women,” Israeli government spokesman Eylon Levy told reporters. “Having chosen to hold onto our women, Hamas will now take the mother of all thumpings.”
The Israeli military said: “Over the last few hours, ground, air and naval forces struck terror targets in the north and south of the Gaza Strip, including in Khan Yunis and Rafah.”
Combat resumed shortly after Israel’s army said it had intercepted a rocket fired from Gaza, the first from the territory since a missile launched minutes into the truce on November 24.
In Khan Yunis, a group of men chanted “God is greatest” as they rushed through the streets carrying a body wrapped in a white shroud. War has returned, even more fiercely”, Anas Abu Dagga, 22, told AFP.
On a bed at Khan Yunis’s Nasser hospital, a member of the same family, Amal Abu Dagga wept, her beige veil covered in blood.
“I don’t even know what happened to my children,” she said. Another relative, Jamil Abu Dagga, told AFP the family had been at home when the bombs started falling.
In Israel, sirens warning of potential missiles sounded in several communities near Gaza, and authorities said they were restarting security measures in the area including closing schools.
The office of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said fighting had restarted after Hamas violated the truce.
“The Government of Israel is committed to achieving the goals of the war: Releasing the hostages, eliminating Hamas and ensuring that Gaza never again constitutes a threat to the residents of Israel,” it said.
Despite the resumption of fighting, talks between Qatari and Egyptian mediators were “ongoing”, said a source briefed on the talks.
During the seven-day truce, Hamas freed 80 Israeli hostages in exchange for 240 Palestinian prisoners, and more aid entered Gaza, where 1.7 million people are displaced and short of food, water and other essentials, according to the United Nations.
Twenty-five other hostages, mostly Thais, were also freed during the truce but outside the scope of its terms.
On Thursday, Washington’s top diplomat Antony Blinken, meeting Israeli and Palestinian officials, called for the truce to be extended, and warned any resumption of combat must protect Palestinian civilians.
Other world leaders, and aid groups, had also sought an extended pause in the fighting that began on October 7 when Hamas militants broke through Gaza’s militarised border into Israel.
During the unprecedented attack, Hamas killed about 1,200 people, mostly civilians, and kidnapped around 240, according to Israeli authorities.
In response, Israel vowed to eliminate Hamas and unleashed an air and ground military campaign in Gaza that the Hamas authorities who run Gaza say has killed more than 15,000 people, also mostly civilians.
On Thursday eight more Israeli hostages, some holding dual nationality, were released.
Not long after the hostages arrived in Israel, the country’s prison service said another 30 Palestinian prisoners — 23 minors and seven women — had been freed.
Hamas said it had also offered to hand over the bodies of a mother and her two sons — one of them a baby — in talks to extend the now-expired truce.
Shiri Bibas, her 10-month-old son Kfir and his four-year-old brother Ariel, along with their father Yarden, have become emblematic of the October 7 attacks due to the age of baby Kfir. Israeli officials refused to comment on Hamas’s “propaganda”.
The Israeli military published a map of “evacuation zones” in the Gaza Strip. The military said it would enable residents to “evacuate from specific places for their safety if required”.
Residents in multiple areas were sent SMS warnings on Friday.
Israeli forces “will begin a crushing military attack on your area of residence to eliminate the terrorist organisation Hamas,” the warnings said.
“Stay away from all military activity of every kind.”
APC, SDP Trade Blames Over Attack On Kogi REC’s Residence
The All Progressive Congress and the Social Democratic party have been trading blame over gunmen’s attack on the residence of the state Residence Electoral Commissioner, Dr. Gabriel Longpet in the early hours of Friday.
PUNCH reports that the gunmen had stormed the residence of the REC shooting sporadically.
Addressing a press conference on Friday, the APC campaign council pointed accusing fingers at the defeated governorship candidate of the Social Democratic party and called for his arrest and prosecution.
The Director, Media and Publicity of the APC Campaign Council, Kingsley Fanwo, said that Ajaka and his SDP supporters have shown enough evidence that they are violent and should be held responsible for what happened at the residence of the REC.
Fanwo stated that the attack was perpetrated days after it alerted the nation of the plans of SDP thugs to attack INEC, adding that “they have finally done their worst by attacking the residence of the Kogi State INEC Commissioner, engaging security agents in a fierce gun battle and eventually burning down some vehicles in the residence and the area.”
Fanwo said, “The same arsonists also had an attempt to burn down the Kogi State Government House foiled by our eagle-eye security agents. The same attempt was foiled at the State APC Secretariat in Lokoja.”
According to the APC, the SDP in the state and their collaborators are desperate to destroy some documents in INEC to cover the heist they committed in Kogi East where they allegedly killed APC supporters “and drove them out of collation centres to forge the results that were eventually trumped by the massive votes of Kogites for the Governor-Elect.”
The Campaign Council alleged that the SDP candidate and his collaborators were attempting to corrupt certain documents in INEC before handing them to their legal team.
Meanwhile, the Social Democratic Party denied any involvement in the attack on the REC’s resident
A statement issued on Friday in Lokoja by the Director, New Media, Muri/ Sam Campaign Organisation, David Ijele, stated, “We strongly condemn the assassination attempt on the INEC Resident Commissioner for Kogi state, Dr. Hale Gabriel Longpet, which took place in Lokoja at approximately 2:00 am this morning, December 1st, 2023.
According to him, “Election should not be treated as a war, nor should it be a matter of life and death. If the election was won fairly and transparently, then the legal process should be allowed to run its course without interference. However, it is unacceptable for thugs, in their high numbers yesterday, to be subject to fake protests, insisting that, on no account should forensic teams not be allowed to do their jobs”.
“We are grateful for the timely intervention of the Army, as the man and his family could have been wiped out overnight. The attackers also burnt his vehicles and took other valuables. This kind of behavior is not acceptable in a democratic society,” he added.
FEATURE: How Katagum LGA, Other LGAs In Bauchi Attain Open Defecation Free Status
Gunshots Disrupt NANS Convention In Abuja
CBN To Freeze Accounts Without BVN, NIN April 2024
Moment Of Celebration As Prof Domiya Gives Out Daughter In Marriage
M/Belwa Muslim Council Bans Un-Islamic Innovations During Weddings
Adamawa Gets Another Private Varsity, Wisdom Kwati University Demsa
Government5 days ago
Gov Fintiri Foots N10m Surgical Bills Of Indigent Patients
News7 days ago
Northeast Govs Begin Meeting In Yola, Vow To Overcome Regional Challenges
News7 days ago
Each Northeast State To Get 60mw Coal Or 50mw Solar Power Plants – Govs’ Forum
Politics6 days ago
Forum Of Islamic Preachers Commends Gov Kefas For All-Inclusive Leadership
News7 days ago
Gov Fintiri Congratulates Atiku Abubakar At 77
News4 days ago
Subsidy: Gov Fintiri Announces N10,000 Allowance For Corps Members
Religion5 days ago
Bishop Mamza Celebrates 2023 Solemnity Of Christ The King
News4 days ago
Hajiya Lami Fintiri Leads Awareness Walk Against GBV